On behalf of Newport City Council
- Freehold former Outward Bound centre sleeping 36
- Grade ll Listed former railway station set in 4 acres
- National Park location
- Rural outlook with good road frontage and parking
- Situated within 0.5 mile of A40
- Vacant possession
- Viewing 30th May at Midday
Talybont-on-Usk is a historic, attractive and vibrant village lying in the heart of the magnificent Brecon Beacons National Park attracting some 4.5m visitors each year, between the Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons, overlooked by Pen y Fan.
The village lies alongside the A40, 6 miles from Brecon, 9 miles from Crickhowell, 19 miles from Hay on Wye and 14 miles north of the vibrant market town of Abergavenny with a Waitrose and main line rail station.
There is good access to the M4 some 30 miles to the south via the A470 and A40/A449, both part dual carriageway, as well as east to the M50 and M5.
The village lies in the Usk Valley alongside the River Usk at a crossing point with the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. As well as a popular place to live the village is a gateway for outdoor pursuits in the Beacons including walking, cycling, riding, fishing, caving, canoeing and boat hire, and benefits from four pubs, a café and a busy shop with Post Office.
The property lies on it own, between the village and the A40, fronting but set back from Station Road behind a large forecourt and looking out over the River Caefane, a tributary of the nearby Usk and open fields to the Beacons.
The two storey property was built in 1836 as the Grade ll Listed Talybont-on-Usk railway station which following its closure in 1962 was transformed into a residential outdoor activities centre until recently operated by Monmouthshire County Council. The property is detached and lies in a rural position set back from the road within fenced grounds of 2 acres. The main property is built of stone beneath a slate roof, with a two storey modern extension at one end. The property is currently arranged to house 32 young people and four staff in 12 bedrooms with kitchen, large dining room, classroom, drying room, offices and ancillary accommodation on the ground floor.
The property is currently arranged to house 32 young people and four staff in 12 bedrooms over ancillary accommodation on the ground floor set in approx 4 acres.
Modern Extension - Ground Floor:
Dining Hall 32ft x 22ft (10m x 4m)
Kitchen/food store 26ft x 13ft (7.8m x 4m)
Bedroom with access bathroom and store
Station Building - Ground - Three interconnected living areas and kitchen:
A) 13ft 7ins x 8ft 3ins (4.16m x 2.5m)
B) 11ft x 8ft 9ins (3.6m x 2.7m)
C) 20ft x 12ft 9ins (6.3m 4m)
D) Kitchen 21ft x11ft (6.6m x 3.4m)
Cloak room 13ft 9ins x 11ft (4.2m x 3.3m) and multiple showers/wc’s
Main glazed stairwell and ancillary stairs to:
Modern Extension - First floor: 5 Bedrooms plus multiple showers/wc's
Bedroom A - 14ft 8ins x 13ft 2ins (4.5m x 4m)
Bedroom B - 14ft 8ins x 13ft 2ins (4.5m x 4m)
Bedroom C - 19ft x 11ft (5.7m x 3.6m)
Bedroom D – 14ft x 13ft 4ins (4.3m x 4.1m)
Bedroom staff – 13ft 4ins x 11ft (4m x 3.4m) & ensuite
Station Building: 6 Bedrooms plus multiple showers/wc's
Bedroom E – 13ft x 12ft (4.10m x 3.8m)
Bedroom F – 15ft x 10ft 8ins (4.7m x 4.10m)
Bedroom G – 16ft x 12ft 9ins (4.85m x 3.9M)
Bedroom H – 15ft 6ins x 10ft 7ins (4.7m x 3.2m)
Bedroom staff – 10ft 8ins x 9ft 8ins (3.25m x 3m) with washbasin
Spare room – 8ft 8ins x 6ft 9ins (2.65m x 2m)
(Max room dimensions - not verified)
Rateable Value £9,900
Wednesday 26th June at 12.00
Vacant Possession - Please refer to legal documents
Brecon Beacons National Park Planning Authority (01874 624437) offer a pre planning advice service. (email@example.com)
The property is Grade ll Listed and whilst it has been used for many years for residential leisure and recreational purposes other uses may be acceptable subject to all consents. Informal discussions with the planning authority indicate that these may include residential leisure/recreational, B&B/hotel, residential with rural enterprise (live/work), social housing etc
Conversion to a single residential unit would involve a greater degree of justification as well as a social housing levy
Please refer to Legal Documents
*Terms and Conditions
Buyers are strongly advised to read these terms and conditions, and check the Special Conditions and any applicable Addendum, prior to bidding on a Lot. Additional costs, charges and encumbrances may apply for Buyers once they have made a successful bid in relation to a property.
- The reserve price is the minimum price at which the property can be sold at auction.
- Where a guide price (or range of prices) is given, that guide is the minimum price at which, or range of prices within which, the seller may be prepared to sell on the date on which the guide price, or range of prices, is published. The sale price, whether prior to or at the auction, can be above or below the guide price depending upon market activity. BidX1 and the seller accept no responsibility for any losses, costs or damages incurred by a buyer as a result of relying on any guide price. The buyer must decide how much they should bid for any Lot. All guide prices are quoted subject to contract. Guide prices given by BidX1 or the seller cannot be accepted by the buyer as being a professional valuation for any purpose in accordance with the requirements or guidance notes of relevant professional bodies or other authorities.
- Both the guide price and the reserve price may be subject to change up to and including the day of the auction. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that these guides are not misleading, it is possible that the reserve price set for any Lot may exceed the previously quoted guide price (as the seller may fix the final reserve price just before bidding commences).
- The guide price for the Lot does not include the administration fee of £1,000 (inclusive of VAT) charged by BidX1. In the case of a joint agent this administration fee will be £2,000 (exclusive of VAT). In addition, the guide price does not include VAT on the sale price, or any additional costs, charges or encumbrances that might apply to some Lots and/or some buyers. The Special Conditions of Sale of the seller, and any applicable Addendum, will state if there are other costs, charges or encumbrances and whether the seller has elected to charge VAT on the sale price.
- To participate in the sale BidX1 must hold a minimum amount from all bidders. This participation amount is fully refundable in the event that you are not the successful purchaser. For example, a participation fee of £4,500 comprises £3,500 relating to your bidder security (partial deposit payment) and an administration fee of £1,000 inc. VAT payable directly to BidX1. A higher participation amount may be payable depending on the reserve price of the Lot.
- Please note that Lots may be sold or withdrawn prior to auction.
- No information, statement, description, quantity or measurement contained in any sales particulars or given orally or contained in any webpage, brochure, catalogue, email, letter, report, docket or hand out issued by or on behalf of BidX1 or the seller in respect of the property shall constitute a representation or a condition or a warranty on behalf of BidX1 or the seller. Any information, statement, description, quantity or measurement so given or contained in any such sales particulars, webpage, brochure, catalogue, email, letter, report or hand out issued by or on behalf of BidX1 or the seller are for illustration purposes only and are not to be taken as matters of fact. Any mistake, omission, inaccuracy or mis-description given orally or contained in any sales particulars, webpage, brochure, catalogue, email, letter, report or hand out issued by or on behalf of BidX1 or the seller shall not give rise to any right of action, claim, entitlement or compensation against BidX1 or the seller. All bidders must satisfy themselves by carrying out their own independent due diligence, inspections or otherwise as to the correctness of any and all of the information, statements, descriptions, quantity or measurements contained in any such sales particulars, webpage, brochure, catalogue, email, letter, report or hand out issued by or on behalf of BidX1 or the seller.